Tuesday 31 December 2019

Metallica- Ride the Lightning (1984)

This may be my favourite Metallica album.

There is, of course, a difference between one's personal favourite and what one critically considers to be the best- I don't doubt that Master of Puppets is a deeper album, and objectively a better one, with an even greater level of musicianship and which (crucially) does not allow said musicianship to compromise the songs.

Perhaps it's simply that I first heard this album at a more formative age, but for me this is the first time Metallica let rip with their combination of gorgeous musicianship (the classically trained Cliff Burton, a serious contender for best bassist ever and someone who I'd love to have seen as a guitarist) and perfect thrash metal songwriting.

There is no filler on this album. Oh, there are highlights- "For Whom the Bell Tolls", the sublime "Call of Ktulu", the thrash anthem "Fight Fire with Fire"- but no song fails to excite. Not necessarily the best thrash album, but my favourite one.

No comments:

Post a Comment