Thursday 19 December 2019

Scratch Acid- Just Keep Eating (1986)

I haven't heard this album before, and have only heard a couple of tracks by this forerunner of the Jesus Lizard before. And, well, this is good, but not really what I expected.

I mean, this is sort of weird-ish, I suppose,but the more alternative '80s production style gives it a very different sound, and not one that seems to suit the songs. And the album, while by no means without noise and weirdness, is very melodic. It reminds me, more in sound than style, of a more mellow and accomplished version of Flipper- the final song especially.

I'm well aware that Kurt Cobain rated this band hugely, and of course they would go on to greater things. But this album, while perfectly decent, is interesting more as a forerunner to the far more interesting Jesus Lizard than in its own right. There is, perhaps, a reason why that band has the much bigger reputation. Still, this is a curiosity worth hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment