Monday 23 January 2023

The Incredible Hulk (1977 TV Movie)

 "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

There is, of course, no guarantee that I'll blog this whole series, and not only because only the extended length pilot is free on Netflix. Despite my childhood memories, I'm conscxious that thius is an American network TV show with a reset button as part of the format.

I admit, too, that after seeing interviews with Kenneth Johnson I'd assumed he was one of those people who despise comics and seeks to arrogantly change anything. Yet, despite the gratuitous changing of Bruce to David Banner (not even "Bob")... this origin story is probably as faithful as ot needs to be. Gamma radiation is involved, and a silly communist spy would not have fit the zeitgeist in 1977, a splendid year, certainly for those of us born in it.

The premise, the direction, the acting of Bill Bixby and Susan Sullivan are all superb. This is better telly than I'd expected. The origin has had so much thought given to ot, Banner's bereavement, his close conection with the brilliant Eleana, thegenuinely intriguing scientific mystery. Jack Colvin is a superb villain- a tabloid journalist, truly a soulless creature.

The connection between David and Eleana is central, and the chemistry is absolutely there. The script is thoughtful, full of concept and character, yet simple. There is an overarching theme of superhuman strength found in adversity. There's a lovely tribute to the first Universal Frankenstein film, for obvious reasons.

Shall I watch more? We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment