Friday 19 July 2019

Back to the Future: Part II (1989)

" I know you just sent me back to the future, but I'm back. I'm back from the future."

"Great Scott!"

I’ve blogged a shocking 590 films, not including this one. That’s a lot. And I find, the more films I blog, the more I feel have to ration out those handful of absolute favourite films ever for fear of having none of them left to blog. But it’s getting a bit ridiculous that I still haven’t re-watched and blogged this, one of my favourite films of all time, so here it is. One day I may even get around to Part III.

Back to the Future was an excellent film to start with, but this is one of those rare cases where a sequel can outshine it’s predecessor. Re-watching this after a while just confirms how awesome it is- after the first film’s fairly simple time travel plot it’s incredible to see how cleverly this film makes a plot about time paradoxes that is actually rather complicated when you think about it, and makes it palatable for a mainstream blockbuster audience with oodles of charm. Even the reprise at the beginning manages to subtly smooth over the recasting of Jennifer and a rather less famous George.

As ever, Michael J. Fox is superb as Marty but it’s that splendid physical comedy performance as Doc by the great Christopher Lloyd that gives the film it’s charismatic heart. Doc doesn’t half talk a load of cobblers about the consequences of time travel that he couldn’t possibly be sure about but you just don’t care because Doc is so captivating. I laughed out loud this time at the “reveal” of his rejuvenation where he removes his rubber mask... and looks exactly the same. So let us not pry to closely at the fact he already looks pretty old in 1955 (Christopher Lloyd was 46 when they made the first film) and so must be pretty old by now. Let us raise an amused eyebrow as he says, having seen the alternate 1985, that he wants to fix everything, abandon time travel and turn to that other great mystery- women. On that note, let us merely raise an eyebrow as he, Mary and Jennifer are in that flying DeLorean in 2015, he gives Marty a glance, and renders Jennifer unconscious to stop her female prattling. A feminist he is not. This scene had me agog. Oh, and let us not pry too closely into his arbitrary ethics if time travel in which it’s ok to prevent Marty’s son going to prison but not ok to prevent Marty becoming “a loser”.

Never mind any of that. This film is wonderful, especially the farce at the end where the first film is happening in parallel, and they realised the importance of getting James Tolkan back as Mr Strickland. The parallel 1985 is horrible, a brilliant creation. And the 2015 is extremely amusing from the vantage point of now- the Jaws and Cafe 80s jokes are the same now as they were then but I was amused to spot a phone booth of all things. I love the antique shop. And I was highly amused to see that Marty Senior gets fired by... fax. Yes, well. It’s also interesting to see Biff watching that scene from the Clint Eastwood western...

If you don’t love this film, you’re wrong. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment