Sunday 11 December 2022

Martyrs (2008)

 "It's so easy to create a victim, young lady. So easy."

I'd be amazed if there was a more disturbing film than this in all of existence. Immediately after watching it I, being quite hardcore, had an experience I'd never before undergone in all of my forty-five years. I felt... not sick, there was no prospect of vomiting, buty something analogous to it. I went into a cold sweat. All this from the profound sense of existential dread by which I, an atheist with stoic and existentialist philosophical sympathies (although, of course Marcus Aurelius would obviously beat Jean-Paul Sartre in a fight), was overwhelmed with. It was a profoundly cathartic and satisfing experience. No other film has ever done that to me.

I shall say as little as possible about the plot: existential dread is a dish best served cold. I shall say that, yes, there's a lot of gore in this film, but the gore is not there to give us a distasteful voyeuristic pleasure. It is necessary. It is instrumental. It exists in order to hammer home (literally, at one point) the hard philosophical subtext that is fare more horrific, for all its abstractness, than any of the hard-to-watch gore.

The film pulls no punches. It brutally exposes the cruelties of life, the absurdity of mortality, the inevitability of suffering and the certainty of death. And yet the final, devastating revelation may, perhaps, contain a kernel of hope. As Existentialists know, in a meaningless universe, we are free to create our own meaning. And there can be no greater freedom.

The acting, the direction, the visual storytelling and especially the storytelling are exquisite, whatever else one may think. This film, despite being truly great in my view, is not one I can honestly recommend to any but the most hardy soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment