Monday 21 September 2020

Acid Mammoth- Under Acid Hoof (2020)

Deep within the ancient Attican peninsula, in the immortal city of Athens, dwells a band who, with this splendidly and brutally slow little stoner masterpiece that is, I've no doubt, something Plato would instantly have recognised as the ideal soundtrack to his ideal polis of philosopher kings. I haven't read The Republic since my early 20s, but I'm sure the main thrust of it is the desperate need for a deeply mellow yet crushingly heavy soundscape lest the Spartans should prevail.

This is a little more poppy than, say, Sunn O))) or Earth, but reminds me more of Conan: those slight concessions to hookiness are delightfully focused on bludgeoning guitars that are in absolutely no hurry whatsoever.

I don't geneally do new albums in this blog- alas, my time to pursue new music is not what t was- but this is magnificent.

No comments:

Post a Comment