Monday 1 January 2024

Motorhead- Overkill (1979)

Happy New Year!

I used to listen to this album a lot in my late teens, but for some reason haven't given it much thought for years. Hearing it again today I'm reminded of why I love it so much.

Then again, we think we know Motorhead, don't we? They're a metal band, right, albeit the metal band that it ewas ok for punks to like before Grunge called a truce between the two genres? 

Wrong. And Lemmy always kept telling us so. They're Motorhead. They play rock'n'roll. Oh, they're heavy, but the songs are very much in the rock'n'roll tradition as much as they obviously owe a lot to the heavy rock of the time. But the songwriting is solid, and the songs are catchy, well-constructed if dsimple, and, well, bangers. There's a reason why this is my favourite Motorhead album, and it's the songs. 

Not, of course, that the playing is anything less than great, or the simple yet clean production. And no, Lemmy's not a great singer, but he's a great frontman- and he writes well for his limited range. But, ultimately, it's about the songs. And I'd quite forgotten how bloody good this collection of songs is.

No comments:

Post a Comment