Thursday 7 January 2021

Catweazle: Season 1, Episode 2- Castle Saburac

 "Thou be-skandered newt!"

The bulk of this episode had me wondering how the format was ever going to settle down. There’s plenty of entertaining slapstick humour, and Geoffrey Bayldon’s charisma and comic talents are if anything even more impressive on this second outing, but is every episode going to consist of Carrot trying to hide Catweazle from Sam (who is definitely suspicious) and his dad?

Thankfully, by the end, it appears not, as Catweazle has set himself up in an empty water tower, with his toad Touchwood to boot. This will hopefully increase the diversity of stories that can be told as we settle Ito episodes of the week.

Now that we know this slapstick format isn’t what the show is going to be, it’s all rather fun, and Neil McCarthy is rather good too. It’s also fun to see domestic life in 1969, in the early months of colour telly on ITV- it’s a delight to see such things as a contemporary bottle of HP sauce. I think I’ll enjoy this.

And yes, I k is I wasn’t necessarily going to blog this so soon but I have access now, so why not? Both of my existing series are about to end soon, and Catweazle has short episodes which I, being not exactly tim-rich these days, can manage to blog when there isn't time for anything longer. Expect to see Catweazle quite regularly from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment