Saturday 29 June 2019

iZombie: The Fresh Princess

"It's like calling a pine cone 'your majesty'..."

This season, now we’re just a few episodes from the end, is slowly coalescing into the best ever. It’s successfully using the non-diagetic but very present fact that this is the final season to suggest that Seattle society, with its fragile truce between humans and zombies, is on the edge of collapse. But that’s in the background; meanwhile it’s developing all the characters superbly while juggling lots of different arc strands including lots of surprises (although it’s pretty much been obvious for ages that Liv’s dad was Beanpole Bob), and still managing to function as the whodunit its always been.

Liv on ‘90s beauty queen brain is hilarious, although somewhat alienating for me. The ‘90s were my decade, the time of my adolescence. But I’m afraid the pop culture references we see here don’t reflect my personal ‘90s of Grunge, wondering why everyone thought Oasis were so great, Ren and Stimpy, waiting for the Major government to fall and naively assuring I’d never see a worse one, loads of rock festivals, beer, cigarettes (and, er, smoking other things), trying to talk to girls, and Doctor Who novels the New Adventures which I generally read to a soundtrack of Sonic Youth or the Butthole Surfers.

So I’m afraid all the ‘90s stuff passed me by, but Liv as thick beauty queen is still funny, and the murder mystery is fun. So is Peyton and Ravi's double act as they track down Beanpole Bob, and the revelation that Peyyon's selling the Space Needle has caught up with her and she's been sacked.

But the fact that Durkins has some kidnapped zombies who she's starved into becoming Romeros, and has them massacring people on telly is probably not something that bodes well. Worse, one of the Romeros is our nuke-happy general's daughter, and Major has to shoot her...

iZombie is one of the best things on telly and I can't believe it's ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment