Wednesday 24 July 2024

Inside Out (2015)

 "Forget it, Jake. It's Cloudtown."

This is a film chosen not by myself but by Little Miss Llamastrangler. It's been a while since I've seen a Pixar film, and this one I's never seen before.

Yet I've never seen a Pixar film I didn't like, this one included. It's not necessarily a genre I'd usually seek out, but good films of any genre can be hugely enjoyable. I mean, I've even watched and blogged Grease...

I must admit... I'm a Brit of a certain age. So, with apologies to those who don't get the reference, I was very much reminded of the Numbskulls from The Beezer. But the concept was superb. On, on the surface it's about a littlre girl's anthropomorphised emotions, yes. But it's about the uncertainties of change, especially rocky ones, when one is growing up.

And it's also about the necessity of sadness, too. We know what Joy is for. Anger, Fear and Disgust protect us. But Sadness? It takes the whole film, more or less, to effectively drive home the lesson: we could all do with a bit of melancholy, sometimes.

We also have lots of little in-jokes from the grown-ups, a random supporting role from Kyle MacLachlan, no less, and some bloody brilliant imaginitive concepts. Not, then, the sort of film I'd often seek out, but very good stuff nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment