Saturday 8 July 2023

Shakespeare in Love by Tom Stoppard at the Little Theatre in Leicester

 “She has been plucked since I saw her last- and not by you.”

I saw this last night, the second play I’ve seen at this splendid establishments, whose players may be amateurs but are no less talented. The stage dressing, choreography and movements are intricate and uniformly excellent. There is a lot of physically demanding here, all pulled off with aplomb.

I haven’t seen the film, alas, yet, although enjoying this play so much means that the moment is doubtless soon at hand. But the script is superb. I mean, I’m sort of a massive Shakespeare and Marlowe geek. I know damn well whom the likes of Philip Henslowe and Ned Alleyne are. I appreciate the clever twist that Kit Marlowe’s death is not some kind of conspiracy here, but genuinely just an argument about the bill for a meal. Then there’s the clever metatextuality with how Will and Viola’s relationship echoes the play being written.

Despite the wit, though, the decision to have Viola irreversibly marry the baddie is devastating. Worse, they’re both immediately off to Virginia. In 1593: just Google “Croatoan” if you don’t get what I’m referring to. Certain, desperate death awaits. And yet… her and Will’s love burns bright. It would not have lasted, Will being an unhappily married father of indifferent quality.

This production, though, is worthy of a Shakespeare comedy and is utterly first class. The cast- dog included, are uniformly superb. Alas, the play’s run has now ended, but at least I got to see it. It was magnificent.


No comments:

Post a Comment