Monday 16 January 2023

Foundation: The Emperor's Peace

 "Oh, it's not a theory. It's the destiny of the human race, expressed in numbers."

You may have noticed I've blogged the original three Foundation novels from the wonderful mind of Isaac Asimov. I've also read the others, plus all linked novels, although admittedly it was some decades ago. But let's say I broadly know how the story pans out in the novels. I shall endeavour to keep these blog posts free of any potential spoilers from the novels.

I've wanted to see this for some time, but wasn't sure whether Apple TV was worth subscribing to as it doesn't look as though there's much else on there I particularly want to see, especially with the lack of archive content. But now I randomly seem to have three free months, so I might as well watch this while I can. It's intriguing; an adaptation of a series of novels that absolutely needs the expansiveness and seriality of TV rather than two hours at the pictures. David S. Goyer is showrunning, so hopes are high.

And rightly so, This is a fairly faithful adaptation of the opening of the first novel. The framing sequence on Terminus features Salvor Hardin. The main flashback to Trantor, perfectly realised, gives us Hari Seldon, Gaal Dornick and Eto Demerzel. There are changes, of course. The novels are a sausage fest, so certain characters need to made female. And the world is fleshed out a little. Gaal's background from an anti-science, religious culture gives her a hinterland. We have the character of Raych. And, intriguing, the empire is ruled by Cleon I... and has been for centuries, with three differently aged  clones at one time, a perfect example of the cultural stasis of a Galactic Empire that no longer grows nor changes. These added bits of depth work well.

This is a superbly made and written piece of television. More please.

No comments:

Post a Comment