Sunday 6 October 2024

Relative Values by Noel Coward at the Little Theatre in Leicester

 Alas, it was the final performance when I saw the play last night, so this blog post won't be of any use in plugging any future performance, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

It's fair to say, I think, that Noel Coward hasn't been fashionable in recent decades, but there comes a point where suffiiuent time has passed such that "dated" becomes "period". Such is the case with thisfairly late Noel Coward comedy on the little nuances of social class from 1951. It an enormously entertaining and very funny play, with wit reminiscent of Oscar Wilde, but also a fascinating glimpse into attitudes from the middle of the laast century, a time that suddenly feel a lot more distant than it did a couple of decades ago.,

The cast, of course, were superb, utterly inhabiting their parts while letting the wit shine through. The set desigh was also excellent, the entire play taking part within the confines of a single room.

Alas, I cannot plug this play. But, for those who live locally, I can certainly plug the venue. This is the third play I've seen there now, all of which were brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment